Dienstag, 15. Juli 2014

On starting to sew

I am not an expert on teaching what you need to start sewing. So I will just share some helpful links here:

For fabric and or supplies:

Europe:

vlisco - beautiful cotton fabric with an african feeling. They produce in Holland for the african market and sell in 6 yards coupons, so you can make two pairs of trousers out of one coupon. My fav are their wax-prints.

shaukat - sells beautiful Liberty Tana lawn for a reasonable price. I use it for blouses or summer trousers/skirts. It is very fine and a bit tricky to sew, but great for hot temperatures.

stragier - sells beautiful Liberty Tana lawn for a reasonable price. I use it for blouses or summer trousers/skirts. It is very fine and a bit tricky to sew, but great for hot temperatures. (a french website)

michas Stoffecke - is a great resource for garment fabric - mostly for children you will find beautiful fabrics (a german website)

charlottas . everything you need from yarn to fabric and books. Mostly for quilters. (a german website)


US:

hawthorne threads - fast shipping - good prices and a gread collection of quilting fabrics - seems they started to carry some voile, too

purl soho - why can I not live near this shop? They carry all you want for your sewing. 

For books / pattern:

I am in love with Japanese sewing pattern. They are great for beginners.

You can buy them directly in Japan or through etsy or ebay. I used this shop to get my most loved book. The pattern are easy and you just need basic skills. I made trousers and blouses from this book I wear nearly daily. All I had to do was adjust the length a bit.

An easy free pattern to start with is this. It is for a bag with lining that is very easy and fast sewn.
And it is a very forgiving pattern, so you have a good experience when you start. Just straight sewing and you are done.















Kommentare:

jabbott hat gesagt…

Lily you have the very best taste in fabrics. I wold love to see what style of trousers you design x

Sandra Dunn hat gesagt…

This is a super reference for me!! Thank you so much for taking the time to list these things. Amazon says they've shipped my sewing machine. I hope I have it by the weekend, Lily!!!

And oh, I think you're pretty much an expert in sewing!